When we received the mv YWAM KOHA as a gift, it was with some fear and trepidation. We knew this ship project would prove to be a bigger task than anyone person or organization. We knew it would require teams of people with specialized abilities and skills to pull off this enormous dream of empowering the Pacific with a healthy future. Despite the uncertainty, we said “yes” to the call, and we are so glad we did.
Over the last two years, it has been astonishing to see the right people show up at the right time. A plumber, an electrical engineer, a master, a welder, a cook and deckhands have miraculously walked across our gangway with perfect timing.
You have a part to play
As we near deployment, it is time to call all hands on deck. We need your help launching the KOHA to the Pacific. Everyone is needed to do their part in seeing this miraculous vessel deployed to our island neighbours. What can you do?
Here are five ways you can help launching the YWAM KOHA:
- Share – Word of mouth is the most effective means of communication. Hearing information from a trusted friend is a powerful way to spread the word. Social media is the way many of us share information with our circle of friends. Would you “like” and “share” information posted on social media about the ship? You can be an effective communicator simply by sharing our posts with your friends. YWAM Ships Aotearoa posts are shared on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Donate – Even though every person who serves with the KOHA is a volunteer, it still takes money to run the ship. Finances are needed for fuel, insurance, maintenance and port fees. We are looking for 1,000 people who will stand with us with a weekly or monthly financial gift. Visit https://www.ywamshipsaotearoa.org.nz/donate/ for details on how you can give.
- Volunteer – Are you a maritime or medical/dental professional? Do you know someone who is? The KOHA is looking for masters, second officers, engineers, deck crew and a trained cook. We would love to talk to you about joining our team and using your skills to serve the nations. Email us at info@firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website.
- Visit the ship – We are coming to a city near you. The YWAM KOHA and her crew are embarking on a four-city tour of New Zealand. We’ll be docked in Lyttelton, Whanganui, Nelson and Wellington. Come, bring your family and friends to walk the decks, meet the crew and hear the stories of this amazing vessel and her incredible mission. You’ll find the most up-to-date tour details on our webpage at https://www.ywamshipsaotearoa.org.nz/donate/.
- Pray – Scripture tells us in Psalm 127, “Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain who build it.” This is also true for a ship. We do not want our efforts to be in vain. Would you join us in praying for the work of the YWAM KOHA? Pray for wisdom for the leaders, provision of people and finances, safety for the crew, favor with governments, and for the thousands of Pacific islanders who are waiting for the ship’s services.
No one person has all the pieces to see this vision achieved. It will take all of us doing our part to launch the mv YWAM KOHA into the Pacific on behalf of our island neighbors. What part can you play?